|Main Languages:||Tetum, Portuguese, English and Indonesian|
Together with your support, Australian Marist Solidarity is partnering with the Timorese so that they can transform their lives and communities through education.
Marists in Timor-Leste
Instituto Catholico Para Formacao De Professores (ICFP)
Timor-Leste is one of the least developed countries in the world and the poorest in Asia. During the 1999 post referendum violence, as much as 70% of the national infrastructure was destroyed, including the destruction of 80% of schools and the burning of almost all books and materials, while almost 20% of primary teachers and 90% of secondary teachers returned to […]
Eliminating the shame and exclusion of children with disabilities
People with physical disabilities in Timor-Leste suffer many disadvantages not least of which are social exclusion and shame. Stigmatised as deserving of suffering because of actions in a previous life, they often struggle to access education and basic healthcare. Since 2000 a local organisation known as KATILOSA has worked to improve the lives of children and youth with disabilities by […]
Supporting the education system in Timor-Leste
Timor-Leste is one of the least developed countries in the world and the poorest in Asia. During the 1999 post referendum violence, 95% of the buildings and infrastructure were destroyed, leaving only 5% of the schools standing. With over 40% of the country’s population below the age of fourteen and the majority of Timorese teachers poorly educated and untrained, the […]
Phase two of new Marist primary school gets underway
Planning for the second phase of redevelopment at the Abafala Catholic Primary School is now underway with the first stage completed in time for an opening ceremony held in January at the start of the 2016 school year. The school provides vital education to children from the very-poor remote mountain community of Abafala in the sub-district of Quelicai (pronounced Kelikai) […]
The Children and Youth Centre (CYC) Ponta Leste engenders community spirit and fosters strong friendships between the students as well as the teachers. CYC Ponta Leste is a Timorese run organisation that works in partnership with Australian Marist Solidarity. CYC Ponta Leste is based in Baucau, East Timor and was established in 2006. In Baucau there is a high level […]
Vocational skills for disadvantaged youth
The CTUF program provides computer and carpentry training for young people in the village of Uai-Lili. The area was previously known as a dangerous place to visit as it was home to destructive and aggressive young people who would throw rocks at passers-by and vehicles driving through the village. Maway, director of CTUF, was previously a leader of a gang […]
Education plays an integral role in the formation and nurturing of young people in Timor-Leste.
In Quelicai, the St Teresinha Central School must accommodate the graduates of students from 12 Catholic primary schools. While Australian Marist Solidarity is supporting the expansion of Abafala Catholic Primary School into a junior high school (Click here to go to Abafala School), St Teresinha Central School’s ageing infrastructure, coupled with demand, will still struggle to accommodate these graduates. Australian […]